Str. Schitu Măgureanu 1, Et.4, Sect. 5, Bucharest
Tel/Fax: 004021 312 52 79
Splaiul Independenţei 91 – 95, 76201 Bucharest
Tel/Fax: 004021 318 15 71
EarthVoice – Romania is a professional non-profit, non-governmental organization, founded in 1993. It’s a member of HSUS (The Humane Society of the United States) and also member of IUCN (The World Conservation Union).
EarthVoice Romania’s mission is to implement the scientific, teaching and management products into different social, economic and decision-making sectors. EarthVoice Romania is working as catalyst for operating, at national scale, the new model of development aimed to assure the social and ecological security.
The main objectives of EarthVoice Romania are:
▪▪Contribution to implementation of CBD, Bonn, Bern, CITES, RAMSAR Conventions, EU Directives, national strategy focused on biodiversity conservation, sustainable use and benefit sharing
▪▪▪Contribution to conceptual and operational development required for putting in practice the aim of sustainability. In this regard a special attention is paid to the development of institutional infrastructure for ecosystems and adaptative management of the relationships between biophysical structure of natural capital and socio economic systems across space and time scale.
▪▪▪Education, training and public awareness rise concerning biodiversity and sustainability.
▪▪▪Contribution to designing and developing management plans for protected areas at national scale according with IUCN principles.
The organization has a high professional profile operating as interface between those who are developing the knowledge and public, thus the membership is based on academic, scientific staff, teachers, Ph.D., Master and undergraduate students.
EarthVoice Romania has strong links with the Department of Systems Ecology and Sustainable Development (DSESD). In fact, the organization is a complementary structure to DSESD and both operates very closely. If DSESD is mainly focused on research, human resource development and training, EarthVoice is mainly focused on the transfere of scientific and teaching products into different economic and social compartiments.
For its mission implementation and achieving its objectives EarthVoice Romania has strong links with Romanian Ecological Society and others Romanian NGO’s, academic institutions and different government institutions (e.g. School Inspectorate of Bucharest).
The main achievements of EVR are:
Successful implementation of LIFE99 /NAT – 006400 project in the inland Danube Delta (“Integrated Management Plan for Small Islands of Braila”). The established operational and management plan allowed the integration of the area into the national network of platforms were principles of conservation and sustainable development were practiced. Based on this achievement the area was integrated into RAMSAR and EMERALD Networks.
Involvement into OECD/DAC Program “Cooperation and Networking of NGOs between Greece and Black Sea Countries in the Field of Promoting Public Awareness over Environmental Issues”. EarthVoice Romania contributed,among the others countries in the project, to evaluate the level of knowledge, awareness and behavior of the people regarding environmental issues, compile relevant international, European and national environmental legislation and also a web page of the project was created.
As part of implementing the Integrated Management Plan in one of the villages from Small Islands of Braila Natural Park, EarthVoice Romania Developed the Education, Information and Visiting Center from Stancuta by equipping the Center with computers, telephone, fax, copy-printer, teaching and information materials; organizing teaching activities and public meetings and debates with stakeholders, administrative staff of communes/villages and local population, aimed to rise awareness regarding constrains and benefits of biodiversity conservation.
In field of education, training and rising public awareness concerning biodiversity conservation and sustainable development, different programmes were developed:
1. Initiating and implementing new teaching programmes
2. Designing and implementing the programme: “Child – as Changing agent” aimed to rise public awareness and participation in waste management through the establishing of the partnership with local authorities.
3. ECO Kindergarten programme, launched by Romanian Ministry of Education, aimed to implement new teaching tools for environmental education at pre universitary/pre-school and primary- level.
4. Publishing – both in Romanian and in English – a handbook for children: “Jelly Jam” (which point of the fact that regarding the environmental issues there are not frontiers or nationalities but only human begins living on the single planet, the Earth).
5. Organizing workshops, debates, conferences on:
⮚▪▪▪▪▪▪3 R: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle;
⮚▪▪▪▪▪▪Gathering the paper for recycling it;
⮚▪▪▪▪▪▪Biodiversity in Lower Danube River System.
6. “Environmental Event’s” celebrations (eg. 22nd April – Earth’s Day, 22 nd May – International Day for Biological Diversity, 5th June – World Environment Day) by organizing: competitions or artistically events(songs, dances or just fashion show).
7. Specific educative activities by EVR’s collaboration with The School Inspectorates of different localities/counties (as Bucharest, Brăila, Argeş, Prahova) on themes like: “Biodiversity and Global Changes”, “Future of Earth”, “Childrens and environment”.
The major challenges for EVR are:
▪▪Applying the concept of sustainable development to the socio-ecological complexes. This is crucial for understanding and implementing the Johannesburg political project which states the need for balancing economic development with social and ecological security.
▪▪▪Applying social analysis and economic valuation of ecosystem’s services within biodiversity and ecosystem management process.
▪▪▪Enhancing EarthVoice Romania’s involvement and efficiency in strategy and policy making processes regarding biodiversity conservation and sustainable development.
Please find some aspects of our activities: